The purpose of this policy is to establish the parameters for the allocation of University Space.
- Space: Specific defined portions of University owned or leased facilities.
- Space Allocation: The assignment of primary jurisdiction over use of a space for a specific extended period of time.
- Operational Control of a Space: Authority to determine the specific use of allocated spaces and to assign specific spaces to individuals for their use.
- Operational Space Manager (OSM): Individual delegated operational management of a space.
- Vacated Space: Space for which the original need upon which the allocation as based is no longer valid.
- Room Use Classification: Each space is assigned to a room use classification. This classification defines the type of use appropriate for the space.
- Space Configuration Modification: Any changes to the existing physical configuration of a space.
- Space Assignment: The designation of a specific University space for use by an individual or group of individuals for a specified period of time.
- Multi-functional Space: Spaces on campuses that are used to support the operation of more than one organizational unit.
Event Access Classification: Each space is assigned to one of three event access classifications (restricted, limited or open as defined below). This classification defines the level to which events may be scheduled in a specific University space.
The campus and University owned and leased facilities are the property of the Commonwealth of Virginia. These resources are provided to Longwood University in order to support its mission and functions. The allocation of space shall be made from a campus-wide, University perspective and priority.
- Space Allocation
- Space allocation is the responsibility of the University Space Planning and Management Committee.
- Allocable space is limited to specific use spaces. Examples of allocable spaces within buildings are offices, workrooms, conference rooms, research laboratories, storage rooms, mechanical rooms and other spaces designed for special non-public use. Examples of allocable outdoor spaces are athletic fields, mechanical yards and storage yards.
- Space shall be allocated in specific units to the President of the University or a University Vice President. In turn, the President or Vice Presidents may delegate authority for use and operational control of the space to an individual as an OSM.
- Space shall be allocated on the basis of need to perform the functions of the organizational unit to which it is assigned.
- Spaces shall be allocated for a specific purposes and for a specific period of time.
- Spaces may be allocated to multiple organizational units as multi-functional space. In these cases, the appropriate Vice Presidents shall agree upon a primary OSM. The primary OSM's responsibility shall be to manage the space in such manner as to meet the needs of all organizational units. In the event that issues arise that cannot be resolved by the OSM or the respective Vice Presidents, the Space Planning and Management Committee will serve as mediator.
- Space allocations will be reviewed periodically to review the organizational needs as they relate to space allocated.
- All requests for new or additional spaces shall be made to the Space Planning and Management Committee according to the University Space Request Procedures.
- Spaces vacated through:
- relocations outside of the allocated area;
- reductions in force;
- re-organizations or;
- other events that change the relationship of operational need to space allocation shall revert back to the Space Planning and Management Committee for reallocation.
- In the event of a space need arising from an emergency or crisis, space may be reallocated either temporarily or permanently by the Space Planning and Management Committee following dialogue with the affected organizational unit or units.
- Space Assignment
- Spaces may be assigned and re-assigned by the OSM as long as the use of the space remains within the room use classification for the space.
- Assignment and re-assignment of spaces must be reported by the OSM to the Space Planning and Management Committee according to the University Space Assignment Procedures.
- Event Access Classification
- Restricted Access: Events to be scheduled in spaces designated as restricted access shall be scheduled for use only by the OSM or their designee.
- Limited Access: Events to be scheduled in spaces designated as limited access shall be scheduled for use by the Office of Conferences, Scheduling and Special Events when the space is not in use.
- Open Access: Events to be scheduled in spaces designated as open access shall be scheduled for use only by the Office of Conferences, Scheduling and Special Events or their designee.