Procedures For Tuition Reimbursement For Graduate-level Courses Taken At Other Institutions 5211


Refer to Longwood University Policy5211: EMPLOYEE AND RETIREE EDUCATIONAL BENEFIT PROGRAM for all eligibility requirements.

Employees have to be enrolled in the course at the other institution before requesting approval for tuition reimbursement.


  1. The eligible employee will need to complete a “Longwood Faculty/Staff-Request for Tuition Reimbursement form”. This form is on the Office of Human Resources website at  A brief description of the course and confirmation of course enrollment will need to be submitted with the form.
  2. The employee will need to forward the form to their immediate supervisor for written approval.
  3. Once step 2 has been completed, the employee is to submit the form to (subject line: Educational Pre-Approval) with proof of enrollment in the class prior to the beginning of classes with the other institution. The Agency Approval Officer will verify the employee’s eligibility status based on the requirement of Policy 5211. If eligibility has not been met, Agency Approval Officer will notify the employee. If eligibility has been met, the employee will receive notification from the Agency Approval Officer with approval or denial.

Steps for Approvals Only

  1. Employee has 30 calendar days from classes ending to submit to (subject line: Educational Documents) the following documents:
    1. Proof of final course grade of “B” or better
    2. Copy of tuition bill
    3. Copy of tuition paid
  2. The Agency Approval Officer will review the supporting documents and process the request for tuition reimbursement.

Effective Date: April 1, 2016