Report a Security Incident
If you observe or suspect an IT security incident you should immediately report it.
What should I report?
Examples of IT security incidents that should be reported include:
- Unauthorized access to a computer or account
- Unauthorized attempts to access, i.e. Phishing emails
- Compromises of University data
- Use of a University IT resource for harassment, annoyance, intimidation, etc.
- Violations of University IT policies
How should I report an incident?
Please note: For incidents involving threats to health or safety or the theft or vandalism of computers or computing devices, contact Campus Police at (434) 395-2091.
What information should I provide?
Include a complete description of what you have observed or why you suspect an incident.
- Your contact information (name, phone number, e-mail address, department).
- Time and location of the incident.
- If your report involves email, forward the message as an attachment (Ctrl + Alt + F) so that the header and routing information stays intact.
- If your report involves a web page, include the complete URL (web address) and describe the problem.