Frequently Asked Questions about Travel

Are receipts required to be reimbursed for meals?

Receipts are not required for an individual to be reimbursed for M&IE per diem when traveling overnight.

Receipts are required when the traveler is claiming actual costs for business meals.

What are the allowable lodging & M&IE per diems for locations not referenced in the allowable guidelines chart?

The standard in-state or out-of-state per diem must be used if the city or location is not listed in the allowable guidelines for travel in the United States. The M&IE per diem of the closest city cannot be used. Refer to Travel Guidelines on the Financial Operations website for current rates.

Current Travel Lodging/Meals and Incidental Per Diem Rates


What location should be used to determine travel destinations, the allowable per diem is based on the following:

Departure Day: Where you spend the night.
Return Day: Where you spend the night before returning to home base.

How do you prorate M&IE per diem when meals are provided by the conference?

When meals are provided at no cost in conjunction with travel events, the applicable M&IE per diem reimbursement rate shall be reduced by the amount shown for the applicable meal in the M&IE Rate Table, excluding the incidental allowances.

For example, if the M&IE rate allows a $51 total reimbursement, and lunch was provided at no cost, the total allowable reimbursement for that day would be $39 ($51-$12 lunch).

When meals are provided at no cost in conjunction with travel events on a travel departure or return day, the full Meals per diem reimbursement rate is reduced by the full amount of the appropriate meals followed by a 75% prorating of the balance.

For example, if the M&IE rate allows a $46 total reimbursement, and lunch was provided at no cost on a travel departure day or return day, the total allowable reimbursement for that day would be $29.25. [(($51-$12 lunch = $39. $39x.75 = $29.25].

How do you calculate the amount of taxes to be reimbursed when the hotel lodging rate must be reduced to the allowable rate?

Line A: Daily hotel rate shown on hotel bill _________________
Line B: Total of daily taxes shown on hotel bill _________________
Line C: Allowable hotel rate per guidelines _________________
Line D: Percentage of allowable taxes
(Line B divided by Line A)

Line E: Allowable taxes to be reimbursed _________________
Line F:  Total reimbursable lodging and taxes
(Line C + Line E)



How much can be claimed for tips?

The M&IE per diem includes the standard meal and incidental allowable rates, and all applicable taxes and tips.  Regardless of the destination, a flat $5 per diem is paid for each day of overnight travel for incidental expenses such as bellhop, waiter, and taxi tips, personal telephone calls, laundry and transportation to places where meals may be taken.

What is the reimbursable mileage rate when driving a personal vehicle?

The current mileage rates may be obtained at

The higher the mileage rate can be claimed if utilizing a personal vehicle is cost beneficial. A personal vehicle is considered cost beneficial for day trips that are less than 200 miles roundtrip or overnight trips that average less than 200 miles per day. A cost-benefit analysis must be submitted to be reimbursed at the higher rate for trips that exceed 200 miles per day. 

What options are available to book airfare?

Air and rail tickets may be procured using the following methods: 

  • Bank of America Visa Individual Liability Travel Card
  • Bank of America Visa Agency Small Purchase Charge Card
  • Personal Credit Card

Airfare Purchases: Travelers may utilize the Internet to procure the best rates for economy or coach tickets.

Suggested sites include:

What documentation should be submitted for reimbursement of airfare?

The following documentation is required for reimbursement of air and rail expenses:

  • Travel Reimbursement Voucher (TERV)
  • Out of Country Approval Form, if applicable
  • Airfare, train or bus receipt
  • Confirmation – require for services procured via internet
  • Boarding passes or ticket stubs – required for services procured via internet
  • Payment method – cash, check, or credit (type of credit card and last 4 digits)
  • Baggage fees – include explanation for excess fees
  • Ticket change fees – include explanation for fees (changes to accommodate personal comfort, convenience and taste are not reimbursable)

NOTE: Airline and rail tickets will be procured using the VISA Small Purchase Charge Card. This purchase may be made in person, over the phone, or over the internet using a secure site. DO NOT USE your Travel Card for this purchase. If tickets are purchased with the Travel Card they will be reimbursed only after the travel has occurred.

Farmville Area Meal Policy - Longwood University follows the State Travel Regulations implemented by DOA with the following exceptions:

Use of the Travel charge card is acceptable for expenses incurred during travel within the Farmville area. All receipts should be maintained. All travel expenses incurred while on travel status inside or outside the Farmville area must be submitted on a Travel Expense Reimbursement Voucher. Travel will require a Request for Travel Authorization (RTA), regardless of the amount, and must be completed and approved prior to travel. Use of the Travel charge card is acceptable for expenses incurred during travel outside the Farmville area.

Traveler's Responsibilities -

The traveler (or designee) will be responsible for researching the lowest possible fares. After the traveler decides upon the lowest rate, the traveler will notify the department cardholder to book the ticket. The traveler will be responsible for having an RTA (Request for Travel Authorization) Form filled out in advance of the travel and on file with Accounts Payable. The traveler will give the cardholder who is making the arrangement on their card a copy of the signed RTA for the file.

Cardholder's Responsibilities -

The VISA cardholder will be responsible for giving the vendor the card information to secure the purchase. When the cardholder prepares the Log sheet the object code used for airline or rail tickets will be 1283. This will ensure that departments are able to track these expenses. The cardholder will attach a copy of the E- ticket/itinerary, a copy of the RTA, and any other pertinent information with the VISA paperwork for the month in which the charge is made. In the case of internet purchased tickets a copy of the secure site screen print must be attached. Tax may be charged on airline/rail tickets under the same policy that covers tax on hotel and travel meals.