The purpose of this policy is to inform the Longwood community and the public at large of the intent and mission of the Longwood Center for the Visual Arts (LCVA).
The LCVA is a unique educational arts facility. As a gallery and exhibition space for revolving exhibitions, the LCVA has unique security considerations. Because the artwork displayed at LCVA is frequently on loan or being leased, all determinations of possible use of the galleries must be made with an eye toward security considerations.
- Longwood Audiences:
- Longwood audiences, consisting of classes, extracurricular organizations, academic departments and the like, may use the LCVA so long as activities take place Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Longwood-affiliated groups may this space free of charge so long as their event does not conflict with other scheduled events.
- Outside Audiences:
- The rental of LCVA facilities for groups not affiliated with Longwood University will be limited to LCVA donors at the five hundred (500) dollar level or above.
- The facility rental fee will be an additional three hundred (300) dollars for each event or usage of the space. A deposit of one hundred fifty (150) dollars must be received at least two (2) weeks prior to the event in order to reserve the space.
- No group or individual may rent space at the LCVA more than three times per year.
- Either the LCVA Director of the Director of Development for the LCVA must be available for all events involving outside audiences to greet and welcome guests and to speak briefly about the LCVA and its programs. For events involving alcohol, a campus police officer must also be present.
- Reservation of space can only be accommodated when staff is available and an exhibition is on display. We regret that no events may be scheduled when the University is closed for holidays.
- While LCVA staff must be in attendance, they are not responsible for set up or clean up, both of which are the responsibility of the party using the facility.
- No event at the LCVA may last past 10:00 p.m.
- Procedure for Internal and External Audiences:
- Longwood audiences may make reservations by calling the Director at 434.395.2207.
- Outside audiences may schedule use of the space by calling the Director of Development at 434.395.2531.
- Food Service:
- All needs for food, beverage, or other catering services must be arranged through ARAMARK at 434.395.2629. The LCVA is not responsible for securing catering needs for any group.
- Because the LCVA does not have kitchen facilities onsite, catering arrangements for dinners will be limited to groups of one hundred (100) or fewer. Again, because of limitations of the facility, served dinners are not available at LCVA. Catered receptions must be limited to no more than two hundred (200) guests.
- Special Set-up: Any special needs for room set-up must be arranged through Conferences and Scheduling at 434.395.2228. The LCVA is not responsible for the arrangement of furniture or for supplying special equipment for functions beyond what is typically set-up in the space.
- Security: Anytime alcohol is served, additional security must be provided by Longwood Public Safety. Groups are responsible for securing and paying for any security that their event may require. Public Safety can be reached at 434.395.2612.
- The LCVA reserves the right to make determinations about appropriate and inappropriate space usage on a case by case basis.
Revised and approved by the Board of Visitors, September 7, 2002.