Surplus Property is defined as property which is in excess of the needs of a department and is not required for its foreseeable need.
The property may be used or new, but possesses some usefulness for the purpose for which it was intended or for some other purpose. This includes scrap, which is material that is damaged, defective, or deteriorated to the extent it has no value except for its basic material content.
The final step in the procurement cycle's disposition of the item is when it is no longer useful to the department. Timely identification of the surplus and obsolete material is essential to an effective disposition program.
Delay identification ties up capital, results in higher maintenance and salvage costs and further deterioration of items.
All Surplus Property is maintained at the Central Receiving Warehouse.
Obtaining Items From the Central Receiving Warehouse
- Call the Central Receiving Warehouse Office at (434) 395-1093 to set up an appointment to visit the warehouse and view items in inventory.
- Complete a Record of Interdepartmental Property Movement or Transfer (pdf) form.
- You will need to make arrangements for transportation of the item(s) to the desired location.
- If the item(s) is too large or if assistance is needed in transporting the item(s), submit a work order request for the movers at 395-2373.
Services provided by the Central Receiving Warehouse include:
- Removal of surplus property from University departments to the Central Receiving Warehouse.
- Moving surplus property from the Central Receiving Warehouse to University departments.
- Disposal of surplus property through pre-priced sales that are held at the warehouse.
- Disposal of surplus property through online auction at GovDeals.com.
- Working with departments to purchase items from the Federal and State Surplus Property facilities located in Richmond and Wytheville.
The first Surplus Sale will be held on the 1st Tuesday in May, May 2, 2017 from 9AM to 3PM.
Other sale dates for 2017 are Saturday, June 3rd, and Tuesday, September 5th.
All items sold must be removed the day of the sale.
State Employees: to see addition information regarding Surplus Sales, please click here.
Central Receiving Warehouse and Surplus Property