To establish rules and procedures for creating and updating university policies.
II. Policy Statement
This policy governs the development and maintenance of all university policies. University policies and procedures are applicable to all members of the university community unless the specific policy states otherwise.
The university establishes policies to promote the effective and efficient operation of the university and to guide the management of university affairs. University policies address operational requirements of all academic and administrative offices and compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Any employee, university office or administrative unit may submit a proposed policy to the university vice president to which they report. Any proposed policy shall comply with the Longwood University Policy Template and Longwood University Policy and Procedures Writing Guide.
- The vice president shall review the proposed policy and determine if it is necessary and appropriate.
- The vice president may submit any proposed policy to the president, who shall review and consider such policies. The president may implement editorial or minor policy changes. New policies or substantial modifications shall be forwarded to the Board of Visitors for consideration.
- The Board of Visitors shall consider and, if appropriate, approve policies submitted by the president. However, the president may temporarily implement any policy until the next scheduled Board of Visitors meeting.
- Vice presidents or their designees shall review and, if necessary, revise policies every two years.
- The university shall publish all policies on the university website in an accessible, easy to read, searchable format.
Approved by the Board of Visitors, December 1, 2017.
Revised and approved by the Board of Visitors, September 9, 2022.