To prepare the University Events and Ceremonies staff to best meet the needs of meeting and event sponsors, any faculty, staff or student wanting to reserve space in the Upchurch University Center are required to complete an online Reservation Request through 25Live.
External users must submit reservation requests for meetings and activities a minimum of 30 days prior to activity dates.
Reservations submitted by internal users which will utilize existing room arrangements will be accepted up to 15 days prior to session date.
Activities involving special setups extensive audio visual equipment, or support staffing (security, tech., after hour’s supervisor, etc.) require a minimum of 30 days’ notice.
Special arrangements and staffing is not guaranteed. Last minute requests will be accepted only if a minimum setup request can be met and a room is available. Internal users are Longwood faculty, staff and students.
The University Events and Ceremonies staff reserves the right to modify and/or change all reservations requests at any time.
General Building Guidelines
- If you have flyers, posters, etc., needing to be posted once they are approved you can bring them to room 200A in the Upchurch University Center and a member of the staff will post them on the magnetic boards. Decorations, signs, programs supplies, etc. may not be taped, stapled, nailed or tacked to any painted, glass, wall or wooden surfaces.
- Selling, canvassing, or promotion of materials or goods must be approved by, and scheduled with, the University Center and Student Activities Office. .
- No one shall remain in the Upchurch University Center after it is closed.
- Animals are not permitted in the building at any time, with the exception of service animals.
- The Pool table, Ping Pong table and Foosball tables are to be used by Longwood students, staff, faculty, Longwood Dining and their accompanied guests.
- ARAMARK is the official, exclusive caterer of Longwood University. Any activity held in the Upchurch University Center that requires food service must use the services of ARAMARK. Outside caterers are NOT permitted. Food service charges will be paid directly to ARAMARK, separate from other facility charges. If you would like to bring outside food you will need to complete the Catering Waiver and obtain approval from Aramark.
- All activities scheduled in the Upchurch University Center must comply with all University policies and procedures. http://www.longwood.edu/media/student-conduct-and-integrity/public-site/StudentHandbook.pdf
Sponsors are required to comply with the following regulations:
- If needed, meet with the Assistant Director of Student Activities and Building Operations (#2106), or his/her designee, to discuss room setup and/or meeting needs.
- Upchurch University Center equipment and furnishings may not be removed from assigned spaces.
All decorations and outside equipment used for events must be removed by the reservation end time.
- Decorations, signs, program supplies, etc. may not be taped, stapled, nailed or tacked to any painted, glass, walls, door frames or wooden surfaces.
- This includes 3M or other temporary hanging materials.
- Major rearranging of furnishings is prohibited.
- All furniture must be put back into the original setup at the conclusion of your event.
- Sponsors are responsible for any negligent damage to the building or property attributable to their event. Fees will be assessed accordingly. Individuals and/or Student Organizations may be referred to the appropriate office for disciplinary measures.
- The Upchurch University Center must be notified by calling 434-395-2106 of any cancellations in advance. Failure to notify the office can result in the organization not being able to reserve space in the future.
- Events involving refreshments and/or catered food must go through ARAMARK, unless a Catering Waiver has been completed and approved. The waiver can be found on Lancer Link https://lancerlink.longwood.edu
- Events by external users are responsible for conducting the activity in compliance with University policies.
- Events by internal users involving alcohol require the approval of the Director of the University Center and Student Activities or designee and must be registered at least 30 days in advance. In approved cases, the sponsoring organization is responsible for completing the appropriate paperwork to secure campus police http://www.longwood.edu/police/forms/security-staffing-request-form and conducting the activity in compliance with the policy outlined in the event planning section of the Student Handbook. http://www.longwood.edu/media/student-conduct-and-integrity/public-site/StudentHandbook.pdf.
Guests and community members attending evening socials (dances, parties, etc.) must be 18 years or older.
- If the event requires Campus Police the organization must complete the online form at http://www.longwood.edu/police/forms/security-staffing-request-form and must be submitted 15 days before the event and paid for 7 days prior to the event. The event will not be confirmed unless payment is made.
- The items/events listed below will require special permission and the organizer will need to meet with the Director of the University Center and Student Activities or his/her designee and may be allowed following certain parameters of how to use the items or host the event.
- Tarp and/or table covering must be waterproof and prevent any damage or accidental spilling onto the floor and/or furniture
- Rehearsals and/or practices consisting of singing, dancing or those involving musical instruments, loud music, high heels, props and/or accessories that may cause damage to wood or laminate flooring.
Other precautions and requirements may be placed by the University Center and Student Activities staff.
Events involving open flames, paint, sand, goo/slime, certain food events (not sponsored by Aramark) will require an additional agreement for the organization to complete. The student coordinating the event must set up a meeting to discuss the activities they will be doing and what items they will be using.
The following items/events are NOT allowed in the Upchurch University Center:
- Spray Paint
- Games that utilize a puck or ball larger than a golf ball
- Bake or food sales not administered by Aramark
Events involving the following will require campus police and the organization’s advisor (preferably the Longwood University Faculty/staff advisor): Student organization is responsible for securing and paying for security prior to the event.
- Event occurs after midnight or building closing, whichever occurs later
- Non-Longwood students are invited to attend
- Attendance over 150
- Alcohol is present at the event
Fronting is not allowed. Fronting is a practice of having a recognized student organization or faculty, staff or student reserve space in the Upchurch University Center so that another group not affiliated with the University gain access to the Upchurch University Center and its resources. Anyone found in violation of this guideline will lose reservation privileges and may be subject to other charges through the Longwood University Student conduct system.
Failure to follow the policies and procedures of the Upchurch University Center could result in fines, loss of room reservation privileges and disciplinary action.