The purpose of this policy is to establish guidelines for all information that resides on all official and unofficial Longwood University websites, including remotely hosted web pages, to ensure a consistent and coordinated message.
This policy applies to all individuals accessing official and unofficial university websites for the purpose of web page development and maintenance.
- Official university websites: Official university websites are defined as websites created for university entities including colleges, departments, administrative offices and programs.
- Unofficial university websites: Unofficial university websites are defined as websites created for individual university employees that are linked with official university websites.
- Individual academic and administrative units that publish information on official university websites are responsible for ensuring that the published information is factually accurate and up-to-date on a continuous basis.
- The Office of Public Relations is responsible for facilitating the process for an annual formal review of all official university websites by individual academic and administrative units.
- Unofficial university websites are the sole responsibility of the website creator.
The university encourages use of websites and web pages to communicate with constituents. However, in order to ensure a consistent message, the following policy applies:
- All official and unofficial university websites must present a positive image of the university.
- All official and unofficial university websites must comply with United States copyright laws, laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, local regulations and other university policies including the .
- Official and unofficial university websites cannot be used for personal gain without the prior approval of the vice president responsible for that area.
- Unless managed by the content management system, all new official university websites and main entry points or portal pages will be reviewed by the Web Committee, which verifies that are followed.
This policy does not apply to blogs, social media websites or student websites; however, other university policies and guidelines may apply.