This policy establishes requirements for the display and/or posting of items in the public area (e.g. the bulletin boards, entranceways, lawn signs, etc.) on campus. This includes, but is not limited to posters, brochures, circulars, community newspapers, fliers, handouts, notices or signs. The policy ensures all advertising and posting on campus is consistent with the mission of the university. The policy provides guidelines for posting and advertising events on campus, preserving the university’s general appearance, reducing maintenance costs, and protecting the privacy of members of the university community.
- The Office of the University Center and Student Activities oversees the approval and distribution of all posters, flyers, lawn signs, ground graphics, and other materials on campus. Only Upchurch University Center and Residential and Commuter Life staff are permitted to post materials in the Upchurch University Center, Dorrill Dining Hall, residence halls, and Longwood managed properties.
- Posters and flyers are only permitted on bulletin boards. No posting is allowed on other areas, such as walls, windows, and doors. To use bulletin boards adjacent to academic, administrative, or faculty offices, individuals must receive permission from the faculty or staff members in that office after having the materials approved. All posted materials must be removed by the person, group, or organization sponsoring the event within one business day after the event.
- Materials may not advertise alcohol, drugs, tobacco products, e-cigarettes and/or personal vaporizers unless the material directly supports, use and/or abuse prevention, and educational programming efforts.
- Posting or advertising using chalk on sidewalks or buildings is not permitted.
- All posters or flyers must clearly indicate the name and contact information of the sponsoring individual, group, or organization. All university related events must include a notation that states, “For questions concerning access or need of accommodations, please contact (insert name and any necessary contact information, including an e-mail).”
- Concerns about content of materials should be directed to the sponsor. Questions regarding the advertising policy and concerns about violations should be directed to the Office of the University Center and Student Activities.
- Lawn signs used for advertising purposes may only be used for university-sponsored events with support from a university office, department, or recognized student organization. Lawn signs will only be placed in mulch beds, not in grass, and are not permitted on High Street. A maximum of eight (8) signs may be used per event, size must not exceed 12”x18”, and language must include an event and/or removal date. Lawn signs will be put in place, and removed, by Upchurch University Center staff. Signage will be placed up to ten (10) business days before the event and will be removed one (1) business day after the event.
- Ground graphics may only be used for university-sponsored events with support from a university office, department, or recognized student organization. Graphics are allowed in front of the Health and Fitness Center, between Lankford and Dorrill Dining Hall, near the flower bed that intersects Brock Commons and Madison Street, and near Beale Plaza. A maximum of four (4) graphics may be used per event; size must not exceed 20”x24” and must include an event and/or removal date. The person, group, or organization sponsoring the event is responsible for placement and removal of the graphics. Ground graphics may be put in place up to ten (10) business days in advance of the event date and must be removed within one (1) business day after the event.
- Posting Process
- Submit via email the item to firstname.lastname@example.org, or one printed original of the materials to the Office of the University Center and Student Activities, at least five (5) business days prior to the event or prior to the date that the item should be distributed or posted. Once the item has been approved, it may be labeled with “Upchurch University Center Approved for Posting”. In most circumstances, items will be approved for posting immediately. If the materials or items are preprinted, the sponsor will be required to modify each preprinted item individually. Please make every effort to have your materials approved prior to printing.
- After receiving the approval for the original item, the sponsor will then be responsible for making up to forty (40) copies of the approved version. Up to eight (8) copies should be delivered to the Office of the University Center and Student Activities for posting in the Upchurch University Center and Dorrill Dining Hall, and up to eighteen (18) copies should be delivered to Residential and Commuter Life for distribution among the residence halls and the Longwood managed properties, and up to fourteen (14) may be posted on approved bulletin boards on campus.
- Posted materials which are not in compliance with this policy will be removed by university officials without regard to content.
- Individuals and organizations, including student organizations, failing to comply with this policy may jeopardize future posting privileges; be liable for damage and/or clean-up costs if any are incurred; or jeopardize funding or other privileges afforded to them.
- Space is limited and posting is done on a first come, first served basis. Posting is not guaranteed if the timeline is not followed.
- The university may decline to post materials that are not protected by law (e.g. true threats, obscenity, copyright or trademark violation, etc.).
Revised and approved by the Board of Visitors, September 7, 2002.
Revised and approved by the Board of Visitors, June 15, 2012.
Revised and approved by the Board of Visitors, September 14, 2018.
Revised and approved by the Board of Visitors, June 11, 2021.