If you experience any issues with students or other travelers on your program (conduct, mental health, injuries, etc.), please complete an incident report form as soon as possible following the incident. For your protection, and for the safety of students, we ask that you err on the side of caution and report any incident you feel may need to be documented. The form will ask if you need assistance from the university, so be sure to give a clear indication of whether or not you need assistance. A copy of the completed form will be sent to you, Patti Trent, and Emily Kane.

INCIDENT REPORT FORM (This form is password protected)

Information for Faculty-Led Study Abroad Programs


We are pleased to welcome full-time faculty members in their second year or later to lead study abroad programs. During your first year at Longwood, we encourage you to familiarize yourself with the study abroad process as well as with campus culture to determine the best options for study abroad programs you may wish to offer.

The deadline to submit proposals for short-term faculty-led study abroad programs is October 1 for Winter programs and March 1 for Summer programs. Proposals for faculty-led programs must be submitted to the Center for Global Engagement (with department chair and college dean signatures) and approved by both the Committee on Faculty-led Short-Term Study Abroad Programs and the provost.


Please note that programs to countries with U.S. Department of State travel advisories at Level 3 or 4 will not be approved. Before submitting your proposal, and periodically while planning your program, be sure to check the Department of State website to ensure your travel destination is not under a warning.

Please review the guidelines before planning your program. There are requirements related to length of program, contact hours, and number of chaperones.

Proposals for all programs (including repeat programs) must be submitted using the online application process, which can be accessed by visiting our portal at https://studyabroad.longwood.edu and then clicking on “For Faculty," or by following the links below. Applications are accessed using Longwood credentials. The application must be completed by one program leader - the principal applicant. If principal applicants wish to give editing permissions to additional program personnel, they will be able to do so inside the application process. Additional personnel who will have teaching responsibilities must complete the supplementary application (see link below) before the deadline. Additional personnel who are not teaching on the program must also complete a supplementary application, but they do not need to do so until after the program is approved. 

Program Leaders: Apply Now

Additional Personnel: Apply Now

To see a blank program proposal featuring questions asked in the application process, view: Sample blank faculty-led program proposal


Once your short-term study abroad program proposal has been submitted and approved, the Center for Global Engagement can assist in publicizing your program by assisting in the creation of a website and posters along with funding 20 (11x17) full-color posters and flyers for display on campus.  Examples of posters are below.

South Africa W19-20


Images used on the posters must not be copyrighted unless you have permission from the owner or have purchased the images.  Some websites that provide free stock images include www.freeimages.com and Wikimedia Commons.


Every student participating in your program will have to complete the Application with the Center for Global Engagement through the Terra Dotta portal. through the portal students will be required to request faculty/staff recommendations, list emergency contacts, and sign various documents electronically. Faculty will be able to reference documents in the post-decision phase of the proposal process. Those interested in viewing the forms before proposing should contact the Center for Global Engagement.

Additionally, students will be required to have their parents sign a statement of understanding. 



All students must attend a mandatory pre-departure workshop administered by the Center for Global Engagement. Failure to attend will result in the student not being able to participate. 

Faculty members leading a study abroad program for the first time must also attend the pre-departure workshop. Faculty members who have already led study abroad programs must attend a pre-departure workshop every 3 years.

Dates for pre-departure workshops may be found here.

After programs have been approved and students have been accepted, faculty leaders can access Medical History questionnaires to better prepare for student needs abroad.

Longwood students traveling on faculty-led programs are required to purchase mandatory travel insurance coverage that includes evacuation and repatriation coverage equivalent to $100,000 with no deductible. You may choose to have students purchase individual policies, or you may purchase a policy for your entire group. For more information about the Atlas Travel Medical Plan, please visit the insurance requirements page. If your program is fully guided, your tour company may provide insurance. If this is the case, please be sure you provide proof that this insurance is equivalent to the coverage provided by the Atlas plan. 


You must complete an RTA form, accompanied by an Out of Country form for your study abroad program (this must include a list of program participants).  


Upon approval, a local account will be set up for the program by the Center for Global Engagement. This is where the money from student fees will be deposited and funds for the program will be dispersed from. Local accounts differ from State of Virginia accounts, in that purchases do not need to be made through the eVA system and the State of Virginia purchase card cannot be used. As such it is strongly recommended that all travel arrangements be made through an agency, or other means, that will invoice the bill and accept check or wire transfer for payment. In extenuating circumstances that check or wire transfer may not be accepted for payment, with approval from the Center for Global Engagement, faculty leaders can pay with and be reimbursed for expenses incurred on personal credit cards from the program's local account. Faculty leaders will be responsible for any fees or interest incurred when using a personal credit card. All requests for payment or reimbursement for program expenses must be processed through the Center for Global Engagement using the Program Payment Request form.  


Once your local account is set up the Center for Global Engagement will send faculty leaders Study Abroad Program Payment slips along with information needed to properly fill in the "program name" and "org". After students have been accepted to the program, by the Center for Global Engagement, these payment slips can then be distributed to students for making program fee payments. Be sure to fill out the "program name" and "org" lines on the form before distributing them to your students. Students should then turn in a Study Abroad Program Payment slips along with payment to the Office of Cashiering. The Cashiering Office cannot process payments without one of these slips accompanying each payment. Additional slips are available, for both faculty leaders and students, in the Center for Global Engagement. 


It is important to keep in mind that revenues collected must cover all program expenses for the group. Because of changing exchange rates, and unexpected occurrences, it is recommended that you build in a price buffer of about 5%. Use a currency converter to get a feel for the current exchange rate. Also, note that there is a refund policy in place that establishes a nonrefundable deposit. It also explains the financial consequences associated with a student dropping out of a program. 


It is required that faculty leaders submit required documents to the Center for Global Engagement by the deadlines listed in the faculty leader checklist (below). Students will be registered with the Department of State, STEP program, before departure. It is also required that faculty register with the STEP.

Students should also register themselves and indicate who information may be released to in an emergency. Listed below are also links to additional information about culture shock, disabilities, Center for Disease Control suggested vaccinations, and how to obtain a passport

  • Health & Medical
  • Passports
  • Disabilities
  • Culture Shock


Many program leaders need to be cash to pay for expenses while abroad (cabs, street vendors, etc.). This is possible.

  • A few weeks before departure, program leaders may ask for the Center for Global Engagement to issue a Banner check request. The check will be payable to the program leader. The check can be cashed and the funds spent while abroad.
  • It is imperative that program leaders keep all receipts and create a log of any expenses for which receipts are unavailable.
  • A reconciliation of this cash advance will be part of the program leader’s budget reconciliation.
  • If cash remains at the end of the trip, the funds may be distributed to students as a refund, but faculty leaders should not make assurances of such refunds until after the budget reconciliation has been completed with the Center for Global Engagement. 


We strongly advise that faculty DO NOT DRIVE while abroad. Some program may, however, require some faculty driving for out-of-reach locations or financial reasons. View the information below when considering driving abroad.

Car rental insurance policy

  • Liability: The Commonwealth’s Risk Management Plan has worldwide application and covers faculty and staff for acts of job-related negligence (including professional malpractice). Student employees and students enrolled in internships that require their presence overseas are also covered. In the event there is a probability of a liability claim, the Longwood Office of Risk Management should be notified as soon as feasible.
  • Health and Medical Insurance: The medical insurance carried by most of the full-time faculty, staff and students is usually applicable overseas; however, the traveler should confirm this with their individual carrier.
  • Workers’ Compensation: Insurance that covers University employees who suffer a work-related illness or injury. It provides for the full payment of medical expenses, emergency evacuation, rehabilitation treatment, and any loss of salary. At overseas locations, it is customary for the employee to pay the bill and be reimbursed by the Commonwealth upon return to the U.S.
  • Personal Property of Longwood Personnel: The University’s insurance does not cover faculty, staff, or student personal property.


Program leaders are required to develop an emergency plan that will be distributed to all participants. The plan must also be submitted to the university. A copy of the Emergency Situations Guide should also be carried by the leader for reference if needed.

Your Emergency Plan must include the following:

  • US Embassy contact information in your destinations
  • US Department of State hotline number
  • How to contact Longwood via dispatch (see risk presentation information)
  • Make sure to note that this can be called collect.
  • Make sure to provide exact number including country code which can be different for different locations.
  • Other key Longwood numbers (see risk presentation info)
  • Your cell-phone information (if relevant)
  • Hospital contact information
  • Hotel contact information
  • Emergency numbers of tour companies (if relevant)
  • Police station contact information
  • Key meeting places (and other procedures) should a student get separated from the group
  • Look at the Health Report and Release forms to see if you have any students who could present you with problems relating to travel and to interacting abroad.  If students have signed the Release form, you may send a list of your students to the Director of Counseling and Psychological Services and to the Director of Student Health
  • Example Emergency Plan
  • Guide to Emergency Situations


Upon your return from a study abroad, you are required to submit an expenditure report that details how the money was spent for your program. This should include an itemized list and accompanying receipts. Information should include all expenditures as follows:

  • Expenditures and receipts for airline travel and other forms of transportation
  • Expenditures and receipts for housing
  • Expenditures and receipts for excursions
  • Expenditures and receipts for meals
  • Expenditures and receipts for admission fees
  • Any other uses of money

In some cases, receipts may not be available, but faculty leaders must nonetheless keep a log of these expenditures. It is your responsibility to carefully document your expenses.

You must also give a simple accounting report of your total expenditures and your revenues from student payments. Any surplus funds returned to students must be indicated as well after the budget has been reconciled with the Center for Global Engagement.

This report must be submitted to the Center for Global Engagement within 3 weeks of your return. A copy will be kept in the Center for Global Engagement and the originals will be forwarded on to the accounting office.


The provost's office now allocates funds for financial assistance to help defray the costs of bringing a second faculty or staff member on study abroad programs as a second chaperone. Please be aware of the following policies:

  • Compensation and financial assistance will depend on the number of students enrolled in the program. Be sure to read the footnotes on the Pay for Study Abroad Courses document thoroughly. 
  • Please be aware that the funds coming from the provost's office are state funds and therefore cannot be put into agency accounts. Program leaders must plan to apply these funds directly to a vendor providing service for the program (funds cannot be used to pay for overnight accommodations in advance) and funds will be wired directly to these companies.
  • In order to process these funds, program leaders must work with the Office of International Affairs to submit a Banner Payment Request form using the appropriate budget code provided by the Assistant Director of Budgets in Academic Affairs.
  • Please note that there is a policy stating that these prepayments cannot be made more than 90 days in advance of the program's departure date. For more information regarding this policy, please see the following documents:


Please note that there are separate guidelines for using state funds. These guidelines DO NOT apply to the use of funds in local accounts. For more information on using state funds, see the following documents.

  •  - see the highlighted section at the bottom
  •  (.pdf)


If you experience any issues with students or other travelers on your program (conduct, mental health, injuries, etc.), please complete an incident report form as soon as possible following the incident. For your protection, and for the safety of students, we ask that you err on the side of caution and report any incident you feel may need to be documented. The form will ask if you need assistance from the university, so be sure to give a clear indication of whether or not you need assistance. A copy of the completed form will be sent to you and the Center for Global Engagement.

INCIDENT REPORT FORM (This form is password protected)

More information about using the incident report form during a study abroad program is provided in the Incident Report Instructions.



Patricia Trent
Executive Director, Center for Global Engagement